There has been some confusion with creators as to how to classify their uploads with regards to which EPs are required to play their content. This FAQ will attempt to clear that up.
Firstly, the keyword here is REQUIRES. This is not to be confused with WORKS WITH. This functionality has evolved over time, and indeed a lot of early downloads are tagged as if it WORKED WITH All, as opposed to Requires all - needless to say this confuses people.
Please be aware that when you post your object, if there are exceptions to the rule please note them in your opening post.
If you are posting a set of items that has multiple REQUIRES, then you need to indicate in your first post which items require which expansion packs.
If no Expansion Packs are REQUIRED (ie MUST be installed by the player to use your content) then do not tick ANY boxes.
| Bodyshop/Create-A-Sim Content
- If the content was made on an EA mesh, then it will require whichever EP or SP that mesh came with.
- If the content is on a custom mesh it will not require any EPs or SPs.
- If the content is "skintight", such as makeup, skintones, or (TS3 only) accessory socks or gloves, no EP or SP is required.
| Build and Buy Mode Content
- Recolours of EA objects will require the EP or SP that the object came with. Recolours of custom meshes do not require any EP or SP for themselves, but remember that the custom object may require an EP or SP.
- TS2: Many cloned items will require the same set of EPs that SimPE was set up to use when the object was cloned, regardless of whether the object itself is from the basegame. To create a basegame compatible clone, change your Preference settings in SimPE in the FileTable and reload SimPE. Do remember, however, that this will result in your cloned object missing EP features - for example, TVs clones this way will not have the Watch Movie option from FreeTime.
- TS2 and TS3: If the original object was from an EP, any clones of that object will require that EP.
- TS2: Fences almost always require at least one EP, it doesn't matter which one however. There is a special way of creating fences in SimPE to be BaseGame compatible, but that is still in the experimental stages.
| Lots and Housing
- TS2: ANY lot built with EPs, regardless of it doesn't contain any EP objects will always REQUIRE that EP due to changes in the .package files.
- TS3: All lots require the bsegame patch version with which they were built. In addition, if objects or lot types from any EP were used, that EP will also be required.
- A lot built with SPs - without using SP objects - will be compatible for users who don't have that SP. If SP objects are used, then the lot will require that SP.
- A lot built with the Original game with NO EPs installed will always work on ALL versions
The two exceptions to these rules are University and Mansions & Gardens. Even though University is technically an EP, it behaves as an SP and is never required. The reverse is true for Mansions & Gardens, even though it is an SP and you may not have used objects from it, the lot will still require it.
If a lot was built with any of the behavioral SPs but does not use any of its objects, the downloader MUST use CleanInstaller to install the lot or it will not install.
| Hacks and Game Mods
- TS2: While some of these may REQUIRE a particular EP to be installed (or None), they may not WORK WITH other EPs. For example, something that works ONLY with Uni installed but not Nightlife - this may be the case for non updated hacks for example. In these cases this fact must be noted in the opening post.
- TS3: Tuning mods require the patch version they were built with. They might NOT work with newer patches.